This post may contain affiliate links. I only choose products I use myself and trust. If you purchase using my special link, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting Simple Natural Mama!
There are some activities that are just sweeter in the summer…the simple things like chalk, bubbles, painting, and nature inspired crafts come to mind. There is also the obvious family fun, such as road trips and beach vacations.
While it’s fun to travel and see new places, it’s also fun to rest and play simply at home. Either way, you are making memories, and isn’t that what we want for our kids?
And it’s nearing the middle of summer…so time to kick it up in gear. As simple natural mamas, we love to simplify things and rest, but we also like to be purposeful in how we spend time with our kids. Bonus if any of these include natural minded projects or materials!
And as a mama who likes to keep things simple… I also tend to simplify by using lists to keep track.
So here is a list of 10 at-home outdoor summer activities for toddlers that we have enjoyed, or that we plan on doing – I hope you and your toddlers do, too! Some are nature inspired, some are not. They are in no particular order, and many are linked to other websites for details.
Stay tuned until the end when I share an exclusive free printable toddler quiz, just for email subscribers!
- Natural Finger Painting With Blackberries – Kori At Home
- Chalk Paint – Simple Fun For Kids
- Ice Bath Fun – Busy Toddler
- Nature Paintbrushes – Messy Little Monster
- Plastic Kite Bags – Munchkins and Moms
- Giant Bubbles Recipe – Learning and Exploring Through Play
7. Shaving Cream and Sand Sensory Play – There’s Just One Mommy
8. Summer Sensory Play – Mama Smiles
9. Easy To Make Water Bombs – Adventures of Adam
10. Ice Train Play – Play Trains
11. Racing Cars With A Gutter – Teaching Mama
12. Graffiti Art For Kids – Playground Parkbench
13. Homemade Finger Paint Recipe – Powerful Mothering
14. Collect And Paint Rocks – Rhythms of Play
15. Last…something less messy…details on that fun TODDLER QUIZ I mentioned!
Have you quizzed your kids before? If not (or even if you have!) Keep reading…
As a mama, I feel that “quizzing” our kids is really helpful for us to learn more about their little personalities, quirks, and intake on everyday life, plus it benefits their conversational and critical thinking skills. This is such a fun thing to do in the summer when we have more time on our hands…. As you are playing..in the car..anywhere… it is truly fun any time of year!
A few ideas of how you can ask these: while playing a game, going for a walk, or doing any of the fun summer activities above… Really…Any time at all. Your toddler’s answers may surprise you!
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- What color is your hair?
- What color are your eyes?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite food?
- Who is your best friend?
- What is your favorite song?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite animal?
- What are you scared of?
- What makes you happy?
- Where is your favorite place to go?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
What else would you add to the list? Are there any fun at home activities your family has made or done? I’d love to hear in the comments!
~Katherine Newsom writes at Simple Natural Mama
If you like this and want to hear more, consider sharing with your friends, signing up for the mailing list to gain access to this TODDLER QUIZ PRINTABLE in our members-exclusive resource library, and joining our Simple Natural Mamas! Facebook community for learning, chat, and support!